Since I doubt I can really write much on this topic myself, I will post up material related to this special day! Although it is a week long commemoration, today is the “official” day!
Cheers to all the strong women in the world! Happy IWD, please take the time to let the women around you, especially ones you love know how much you value and cherish them!
March 8, 2010
Strong Women. Strong Canada. Strong World.
In 1977, the United Nations General Assembly adopted a resolution calling on member states to proclaim a day for women’s rights and international peace. Following the United Nations’ lead, Canada chose March 8 as International Women’s Day.Each year at this time, Canadians celebrate progress toward equality for women and their full participation, reflect on the challenges and barriers that remain, and consider future steps to achieving equality for all women, in all aspects of their lives.Over time, International Women’s Day has grown into a week-long series of commemorative events and activities across the country. International Women’s Week 2010 begins on Sunday, March 7 and wraps up on Saturday, March 13.
We encourage all Canadians – women and men, girls and boys – to promote International Women’s Day / International Women’s Week. Better yet, why not organize your own IWD/IWW event in your community, organization, workplace or school?
March 8 is International Women’s Day (IWD), the highlight of International Women’s Week (IWW). Each year at this time, Canadians celebrate progress toward equality for women and their full participation, reflect on current challenges and consider future steps in achieving equality for all women, in all aspects of their lives.
International Women’s Week 2010 begins on Sunday, March 7, and wraps up on Saturday, March 13. The Government of Canada’s theme for 2010 is Strong Women. Strong Canada. Strong World.
This theme reflects the government’s action to encourage more women and girls to participate in leadership roles, thereby helping them thrive, reach their full potential, fulfill their dreams and build a more prosperous Canada.
For Canadians, equality means women and men sharing in the responsibilities and obligations, as well as in the opportunities and rewards, of life and work. In Canada, leadership is key across society – from the private sector to governments to the general public. Leadership is important, so that people of all origins, generations and backgrounds can participate fully in our country’s economic, social and democratic life, and ultimately, in improving the state of the world.
- In 1977, the United Nations General Assembly adopted a resolution calling on member states to proclaim a day for women’s rights and international peace. Following the United Nations’ lead, Canada chose March 8 as International Women’s Day.
- International Women’s Week 2010 takes place from Sunday, March 7, through to Saturday, March 13.
- This year, the theme is Strong Women. Strong Canada. Strong World., reflecting the Government’s firm belief that increasing women’s participation, and access to leadership roles and opportunities will help women and girls reach their full potential and help build a more prosperous Canada.
- Canadian women have made enormous strides. The current Government has the highest percentage of women in Cabinet in Canadian history. The House of Commons currently has 67 women.
- Women are also increasing their participation in other aspects of Canadian life. Currently, women make up the majority of full-time students in most university faculties.
- The labour force participation rate for working-age women (15-64 years) has risen from 68.2 per cent to 74.3 per cent over the past decade (1997-2008). In 2007, women made up 35 per cent of all self-employed individuals.
- There has also been a long-term increase in the share of women who are working in managerial positions. In 2007, 35% of those employed in managerial positions were women.
Excerpt Source: Government of Canada
With the theme of this blog in mind, I found a non-political theme created in the Late Soviet times, highlighting March 8th as a day of celebration of beauty and motherhood of women.
Together, men and women will bring the Earth together in harmony!
Whatever you give a woman, she will make it greater. Give her sperm, she will give you a baby. Give her a house, she will give you a home. Give her groceries, she will give you a meal. Give her a smile and she will give you her heart. She multiplies and enlarges what she is given. So if you give her crap, be ready to receive a ton of shit…